Tuesday, December 22, 2009

I&A Wedding quilt

Without further ado (and procrastination!), here are the pictures of the big project that has been going on around here :) Our family and another family that are good friends of ours have been working on this quilt quite steadily for the last few months and were able to give it to the couple on the first weekend in December. The quilt pattern and design is based off of this quilt . My goal was to make a reproduction of this original using reproduction fabrics and sticking to the orignial design and feel as much as possible. The obvious difference is the colors that we used. I do wonder though, how much the originial has faded over time and how bright the fabrics were orignially.




I drafted the block myself but really anyone can do it. It is just simple geometry :) (Note: All of these meausurements are with 1/4 inch seam allowance asumed) All I did was decide what I wanted the finished block measurement to be. For this quilt, I think we went with 9 inches because it is divisible by three. The next size up I would have considered would be 12 inches. The reason that I need it to be divisible by three is because this block is divided into 3 columns and three rows, if you look closely :) Making sure the finished meausurement is divisible by three just makes it easier in the long run. Ok, since we know the finished block is 9 inches and we have three square "units" by three square "units" in the block, we know that each finished square unit should be 3 inches. Now know that we need four 3 1/2" squares of the dark fabric and one 3 1/2" square of the light fabric per block. Now what about those triangle units? We know that we want them to be the same size as the other squares when they are finished so we just add the seam allowance nescessary to compensate for when the triangles are sewn together. That will be a half in this case. You can experiment if you need to if you are doing a different size. SO! That means we need 2 more 4 inch squares of the dark fabric and 2 more 4 inch squares of the light fabric for the 4 triangle unit squares. Once you have those 4 inch blocks, cut them on the diagonal to get 4 triangles from each block. Alternate the dark and light and then sew them together. Once you have those, you can then sew all 9 of the squares together and you have one finished block.

This quilt is a king size and I think it has over 90 blocks with 3 inch sashing, if I remember correctly :)

Just as a side note, if you are ever wanting to make a quilt from any particular aread, I have found quiltstudy.org to be a huge help! You can type in any year or design that you would like to reserach and hundreds of quilts come up! It does take some time but is really worth it! For this quilt, I typed in the years 1830-1865 and I found it quite interesting that nearly half of the quilts that came up were appliqued! It seems that applique was the popular technique when a lady wanted to show off her handiwork where as piecing was more practical for the lower classes. Material culture is so interesting :)



Anyway, on with the pictures:


















Au revoir

Blessings,
Bethany

12 comments:

  1. GORGEOUS! This quilt turned out so beautiful...great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Bethany, that is *so* beautiful! What a lucky pair of newlyweds to receive such a gift!
    Paris

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ditto with Mrs. G. - I'm sure this will become an heirloom piece for the lucky couple who received it! Beautiful in all aspects!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely beautiful and the fact that it was hand quilted... oh my, I am just drooling. I love hand quilting! But, I can't imagine doing that big of a project either! ;) It looks great and I am sure that the happy couple will be very pleased with it!
    Love,
    Fiddlin Girl

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you, Fiddlin girl! Well, I can't imagine doing that big of a project by myself either :) I think there was nearly 8 of us in rotation working on the quilting over two days. It is SO much fun to do a quilting bee together! You have endless time to chit chat of course but their is also something to be said for a group of people working on one project together. It really brings the people together in a specail way.

    Blessings,
    Bethany

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful job Beth! I am sure A and I will absolutely love it! I am so glad y'all did a quilt for them. It will be be a blessing, I'm sure!

    Blessings,

    Lady Mysterious

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aw thanks, C! They seem to have really liked it although I have not heard much from them yet. I enjoyed it so much as I had wanted to do a star pattern on the diagonal for so long. I was delighted to find this original :)

    Blessings,
    Bethany

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello!!!

    WOW. That is so amazing. I wish I had the patience to make a quilt like that. :)

    Great job!!!!

    Brooke (off the SA forum)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely!!
    This looks so authentic :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dear Bethany,

    I just found your blog (again) off of Sarah Jane's. I love the pictures of y'all making the quilt and all the research and details you gave! Wow!! Again, thank you so much for this amazing gift! To me this quilt grows ever more beautiful as you look at all the prints and blocks. It's certainly a family heirloom for us. :-)

    With great gratitude and respect for your fingers,
    I

    ReplyDelete