Saturday, January 30, 2010

A Red Riding Hood





Once again, another lovely accessorie for my sister. Lord Willing, we are going to an event on Wednesday so she really needed something warm for her head instead of just a shawl so this ensued :)

I was very much inspired by another lovely lady's hood here and another here. As is said, the instructions are from Peterson's Magazine and authored by Mrs. Jane Weaver in the 1860's. The original instructions that were provided along with these two diagrams:

"This hood is the novelty of the season, and while it is both pretty and becoming, it is very simple and easily made. Take three-quarters of a yard of scarlet sack flannel, the finest and most brilliant color that can be procured. Cut off one side to make it perfectly square; round one corner, as seen in the diagram; then have it pinked all round in small scallops, which you will find, will produce a very beautiful effect.
From B to B at about two inches from the edge, sew a casing of narrow ribbon on the underside, also one diagonally from A to a. Run a narrow ribbon in the casings, drawing the one from B to B to fit the face. Fasten it. The one from A to A is to be drawn to suit the head.

If preferred, the hood may be lined with silk so far as the line AA. The point which represents the cape is better not lined"

















I really did not vary from the originial directions very much as I cut it out to be basically the same design but I did cut off part of the piece that hangs down over the shoulders so that it would not be so long in the back. I highly recommend making it out of a piece of fabric you do not care about first and just basting in some twill tape or another cheap material as a psuedo casing and then just run some yarn through the casing to see how it fits and if it will flatter the shape of your face ect.

With that said, once I had my pattern from my mock up, I cut out my wool to the afore mentioned shape and used a Curves water bottle to trace around and get the scallops :D Whatever works, I guess! I did use pinking sheers as was mentioned in the originial instructions. I also lined the area that was mentioned in the instructions with red/black shot silk taffeta but I also quilted the lining with some wool batting before I whip stitched it to the actual wool hood. After I had the lining in, I sewed the casings on. I made the casings out of the same silk cut on the bias and folded to hide the raw edges. After that, the hood is basically finished and all you have to do is thread some sort of ribbon through the casings, draw it up and attach a bow to the back. I used the same silk for the drawstring and did not even finish the edges. Since it is on the bias it really will not fray very much and is the quickest option if you want to make your own ribbon. I made the drawstring extra long so that the extra would tie neatly under the chin to keep the hood on. Just make sure to knot the drawstring at both intersections on the corners after you draw it up and then use the extra to secure it on your head.







You can see the lining better in this photo:



I am making one for myself with brown wool and turquoise silk taffeta. I hope to finish it soon and post pictures for you all also :)

Oh, and ladies, I finally got smart and am doing several posts in one sitting and then saving them to post on different days. I think I will be able to keep up better and post more regularly that way!

Blessings,
Bethany

12 comments:

  1. How lovely! It looks warm! :-D

    Looking forward to your upcoming posts! :-)

    ~Melanie

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a pretty hood, it looks *so* cosy! You did a very nice job!
    Paris

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just have to add that yes Paris its so cozy! I was much warmer than my dear sister was while she took pictures of me! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you both! I just finished one for myself and it does seem to be quite warm and cozy and very pretty indeed!

    Blessings,
    Bethany

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh that hood is so lovely. I just found your blog recently and as a fellow seamstress it inspired me greatly.

    Blessings,
    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks So cozy!!! :D Good job!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a good idea to quilt the lining first! I may have to steal that idea for my next hood...

    It's beautiful! Those colors are perfect together.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is lovely and looks very warm!
    ~Alyssa

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have a silly question, because I am not sure I understand the instructions! Does the lining go on the part of the hood covering your back? Or in the actual hood? In the pictures is looks like it's in the hood, but the instructions seem to indicate differently. I just want to make sure before making this for myself!

    Thanks,
    Victoria

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sorry about that Victoria! It is only in the actual hood and not in the part covering your back at all. In the diagram, it is only the triangle in between the bows and indicated the AB lines. I hope this helps!

    Blessings,
    Bethany

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello! I was wondering... how did you manage to the the casing at your forehead area/ make it gather & lay as it does? I left a gap in the casing (since I couldn't fold it over to make an angle there) causing the fabric at the front to flop. I'm thinking of either poking holes in the top fabric to thread to the outside & knot a bow on top, or, doing some amount of gathering just at the center front there. I feel like you didn't have to do this so I'm just wondering what I did differently?

    ReplyDelete
  12. I hope I understand your question correctly, Ashley-- There are two casings. One goes from B to B (in the diagram) around the curved each. This casing ends up framing the face....The second casing goes from A to A. Both casings are sewed on and then ribbon is run through the casings. The ribbon is drawn up however tightly you would like and that is how the hood gets its shape instead of being flat. At the two corners where the casings meet (AB and AB), I folded under the casings edges and let the ribbon come out. This controls the amount of gathering or tightness and is the ribbon that you see come under the chin and tie. I hope this helps and let me know if you have any other questions!

    ReplyDelete