Tuesday, February 9, 2010

My Wool dress project

Well, I finally have some pictures to show for my work! I have been working on this for most of the month but I think you can actually tell what it is now so I will share pictures :) I have the skirt all assembled also. All I need to do is attach the sleeves and the skirt to the bodice. I am planning on doing a dog leg closure which I have only done once before so that is why I have not attached the skirt to the bodice yet.

Just to clarify, this is my attempt at reproducing a dress that a middle class woman might have warn in the 1860's. While some might assume that the wool is itchy, it really is just quite the opposite! It is smooth and almost silky :)

Basic darted bodice with modified bishop sleeves.
Hook and eye tape for the front closure and a piped/bound neckline for easy care. I do plan on wearing a collar with this dress.
The sleeves are really just a basic rectangle that is gathered into a cuff and box pleated into the armscye. The idea is to have the box pleats right over the top of the arm and stitch them down about four inches so that all of the fullness is released around the elbow. I love that silhouette :D
Waistband with piping above and below. I like the added stability.

The back with the "side" seams piped along with the shoulder seams. I have put the "side" seam in quotations because they really are not by the side at all! They are angled much more to the back then we are used to and make for very interesting shaped pattern pieces! :) You can also see two arched tucks in the back. This was quite popular doing the period. You can see them all the way back to the Regency also!

And another view of the front :)

Enjoy!

Blessings,
Bethany Lynn

8 comments:

  1. It is looking lovely, Bethany. I love the fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, that's going to be a beautiful dress! I love wool, too. Your sleeves look fantastic -- I really like how you did the box pleat on the sleeves.

    -Amy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it!! The sleeves look like the sleeves Atlanta Shannon made on her wool dress. I really like that pattern. Can't wait to see how it looks when it is finished!! :)
    Love you tons!
    FG

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi,
    I just happened on your blog from Aspiring Homemaker (Mia's) and your work is beautiful. I wish that I would have stayed with sewing all through life so that I could be more proficient now, but I didn't. I am relearning everything...I'm a mom now. LOL.

    Congratulations.

    Warmly,
    Monica

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you, All! I really do appreciate comments :)

    Monica, I am so glad you are learning now though! So many don't learn when they are young and never try again. I hope you are having fun sewing things for your children! I often wish to make little things when I have been working so long on things for myself or other grown people :D

    Blessings,
    Bethany

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your dress looks so lovely! I can't wait to see it completed. I wish I was that advanced!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my gosh, I just am admiring every single detail about this!! I simply LOVEEE the pleats on the shoulder sleeve and wool is very appropriate for the dress!! It's so beautiful Bethany!! I hope to see the whole thing; it'll be an eyesore!! :)
    - Sam

    ReplyDelete