Saturday, February 6, 2010

Smithsonian Women's Clothing Collection


Did you all know that the Smithsonian has a lovely collection of women's clothing? I honestly, had no idea and have had quite a bit of fun perusing it online! To think that I could hop on the metro any day and go look at it in person is just mind boggling to me too :)





I am rather partial to this one. (above) I love the detail and I think some it could be incorporated into a lovely modern wedding dress!





This looks oddly familiar :D I do not have a plaid "work dress" but the style of my everyday Civil War era dresses look a lot like this! The detail on the apron is lovely too.





This lovely white dress has exquisite embroidery on it! Makes one wonder if it was one of those textiles produced in India or if a woman spent a lot of time on it in preparation for some sort of special occasion.

Those are just a few of my favorites but do go look at more of their collection!



In our neck of the woods, we are having a blizzard! We have never had this much snow all in one winter before. It really is unbelievable!

Staying warm,
Bethany Lynn

5 comments:

  1. Ohhh! I love that first one especially! Going to look at that link now...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too bad I didn't know about this when I was last there. I too love the first one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ashley, I am actually wondering if they have very many on display. I have only ever seen the First Lady's dresses on display but maybe it is different now that they have re-modeled and it is different. I think it would be fun to set up a date and go behind the scenes kinda like we did at the V&A :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Soo pretty! Love that top too. The sleeves are very unique.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How can you resist that last white gown? So simple and yet elegant and intricate. Lovely, dear, just lovely!

    Soli Deo Gloria,
    Jenn

    ReplyDelete