Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Immersed in Regency............

Time escapes me as usual.

have been researching the Regency era quite a bit lately as we have an opportunity to attend an event at Fort McHenry. It is in June so I have started the fun right away :)


When it is all said and done, I am going to be involved with helping clothe five women from 17 to middle aged so I decided that getting started sooner rather than later would be a good idea. I have already started ordering supplies and fabric but I am also purchasing a few things at Joanns this week.

I thought about drafting my own patterns from some of the lovely sources that are out there for a while but I opted for buying commercial patterns instead. I have Patterns of Fashion and while it is a lovely source, I didn't want the stress of drafting 4 or more seperate patterns for 5 women. So, I went with the chemise pattern and Lewis and Clark gown pattern from Past Patterns. They are multi sized and should be easily adapted for several different sizes. I also like the fact that the chemise pattern comes with embroidery patterns for initials. It will be much easier to tell lots of white apart that way :)



This blue linen stripe is to be used with the above gown pattern for my sister and I am planning on using a brown stripe similar to the one pictured for mine. The Gown pattern has extensive documention for the fabric suggested as the pattern was based off of an original. I wanted to keep in this same vein hence the stripes and linen fabrics.
Available here


Available from WM Booth Draper.

This is my plan so far. I will post more on underthings and aprons soon. We are having a sewing-a-thon this weekend to get stays and chemises done so I will update soon.

As Always,

Bethany Lynn

2 comments:

  1. Looking great!! Its seems everyone is making regency things. I think I'm going to just have to dive in and make myself some things. :D

    I hear the Patterns of Fashion book mentioned quie often. It must be quite a treasure, I'll have to look into it. :)

    Sincerely,
    Brooke

    ReplyDelete