Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Regency Aprons

I am not really sure where to start with this one so I will just dive in!

I have not started making any Regency aprons yet as I would like to finish our dresses first but these are the things that I have found along with the resources that others have told me about.

When I first started researching the aprons from this time period, I did not really come up with much. I knew about the instructions that came with the Sense and Sensibility Regency Dress pattern and the instructions from the Across the Ages website but I did not know if these instructions were derived from originals or if they were from the well loved movie adaptions from the time period :)

So, with those as my findings, I went and asked some questions over on the Sense and Sensibility sewing forum. A very informative member there told me about this painting. It is kind of hard to tell in the picture but it looks like the woman on the right is wearing a very basic half apron that comes to about mid calf and wraps around the fashionable "under bust" waist. I would like to assume that it is linen also since linen is a plant fiber that holds up much better than cotton.


The second painting she told me about was this one of a girl embroidering:



I love this one :) It shows so many details and is a lovely painting all around. I hope to base several aprons off of this one.

She also told me about this original. It is very simple but I appreciate the documentation about who made it and when and what it is made of. I have been reading that blue was a common color because of the dying process they used (indigo was readily available) and that the check pattern was also quite common because it was so simple to weave. The combination of the color and pattern and fiber seem to be a good option for a working class impression. This apron also reminded me of the apron pattern published by Fig Leaf Patterns.

I also found it to be very interesting to find that this smock was also made in the same color, pattern and fiber! I have no indication that the two pieces are connected in anyway so it just goes to show that the color, pattern and fiber must have been quite common! I do not know who would have worn this style or when but the website does indicate that it is a women's size.

I will keep you all updated on these projects once I actually start on them :)

As Always,
Bethany Lynn

3 comments:

  1. That second apron is really pretty. I would love to make one like that too, I'd have nothing to wear it over though. I hope yours turn out very nice, I think it would look very becoming on you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Stephanie, if you like something you can wear it all the time! I love the quote, "I have learned this at least by my experiment, that if one advances confidently in the direction of his cream, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours."

    There are tons of apron patterns out there. Quite a few are great for modern wear too! I should post some of those aprons that I have made............

    Blessings,
    Bethany

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been wanting to make a Regency apron too, lately. Do share pictures when you get your made!

    ReplyDelete