Sunday, July 18, 2010

In the works........

Hello All,

I think I have mentioned it before, but I really cannot work on one project at once. I have to always have more than one project! I am not really sure why but I have found it to be quite common among seamstresses and other people who have some sort of craft. I am one of those types who needs more than one project but more than one medium too! At an early age, I did not want to just work with textiles, I wanted to work with fibers also! I learned how to crochet first but I really wanted to learn how to knit. Crochet has a lot of advantages but it always seemd like knitters had the best patterns available to them. Not to mention that knitting was the most common in the 19th century and crochet was only used for small decorative trims. This made me even more motivated to learn how to knit.

Now, I could go into a lovely story about my mother or grandmother teaching me how to knit, but sadly, I cannot tell such a story! All my grandmothers live very far away from me and my own mother does not know how. Lately, a lot of women have understood this predicament of so many and one lady, has been so kind to create http://www.knittinghelp.com/ I learned how to cast on and do the knit and purl stitch from there and even how to increase. I have not mastered decreasing yet but I have not needed it quite yet either ;)

So with thanks to knittinghelp.com, I have started on a sontag for cold weather living history events! I have wanted to for so long but I just now bought a PieceWork magazine that had an informative article and pattern included. There are lots of patterns on line (like this one) but none are very detailed and being a beginner knitter, I need detail! If you ever get a chance to pick up PieceWork March/April 2009 and want to make a sontag, I highly recommend it!


(That's a knitting needle holder that I made out of repro fabric and some twill tape in the right hand corner of the picture)



As Always,
Bethany Lynn

6 comments:

  1. I started making this same one, but it turned out way too small! I have to take it all out and start over. They are very pretty though so I am willing to start over sometime in the future. decreasing is very very simple...you just stick your needle through two stitches and knit them together. Your sontag looks great. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am the same way. I can not just have one garment at the same time. I sew but I also crochet and knit.

    Your sontag is looking very nice Bethany Lynn. The color blue is quite lovely :)

    Thank you for the link.

    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What kind of yarn did you use for this? Did you use the kind recommended in the pattern, Dale of Norway Heilo? I am going to try again, I think that the yarn recommended is very expensive, I am trying to find an alternative.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nope, I use sport weight from knitpicks.com MUCH cheaper. They have all sorts of colors too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was wondering how much more detailed the magazine pattern is than the pattern translation on the link you listed. I haven't yet made a sontag, but would like to. Does the magazine pattern have different sizes?

    ReplyDelete
  6. It does not have different sizes but since the pattern is so specific on finished measurements, I think it would be fairly easy to size up or down. Making a gauge at the beginning would help too.

    ReplyDelete