Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Past Patterns #707

Hello All,

I have finished another chemise this time though, for a different dear friend and using a different pattern. It really is more fun to use different patterns! Makes for more interesting sewing.



Once you have used most of the 19th century chemise patterns out there, I think a person comes to realize that they are generally the same! A wide neckline, short sleeve with facings and a generous body contained in a band is really all they are. Some are easier to follow as far as there instructions go and others are better at sizing.

I have to say that this is not my favorite pattern as of yet and while I do like the outcome, I don't know if I would use it again. I am concerned that the neckline might be too large (and cause the chemise to slide off the shoulders) and the sleeve bands too small (just uncomfortable!)! I won't know until the recipient trys it on and gives me some feedback of course, but even if it does work, I didn't really like the instructions either. It really is quite pretty but I think I would rather use something like Simplicity 9769 instead. With all that said, here are pictures! I didn't change anything except to not put so many tucks in the front as was called suggested. I hope it will be less bulky that way.







As Always,
Bethany Lynn

4 comments:

  1. It looks great. I am wondering if this is a chemise to go under nicer dresses? My regular chemise has a thicker band and bigger sleeves but it is really hard to fit under a ballgown without having bits sticking out. It looks great, your pleating is wonderfully even.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I think this chemise can be worn under most anything. Because of that, I think it would work quite well under a ballgown. The neckline is so wide that I think it would be quite simple to wear a ballgown with it and not worry about it peaking out.

    The iron does wonders for tucks ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Bethany Lynn,

    The neckline does look a bit wide, but the only way to find out if it words is to wait until your friends tries it on.

    This is one of the reasons I enjoy sewing so much, I am able to choose what works and realize what doesn't.

    Great job, though. Especially the tucks :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This one is so pretty! I love all the little pleats (I adore pintucks and small pleats period) and the small sleeves. The one I attempted to make for the trip ended up having huge sleeves.

    ReplyDelete