Tuesday, November 2, 2010
Just a few more aprons here because they are pretty and practical. A perfect sort of gift for two special birthday girls who enjoy cooking and pretty things!
You all have seen this style before. It is not complicated to make but it seems to result in a nice amount of detail. I enjoy making it because it does not require too much fit and I don't have to worry about making something as a gift and then having it not fit the recipient. I used the Edwardian Apron pattern in case any of you have not seen it before. Honestly, I love this pattern so much and find it to be so practical that I have one copy for here and one copy to let friends borrow!
Surprisingly, I was able to squeeze these aprons out of less than 2 1/2 yards each! I wanted to use these specific fabrics because I had them on hand and because they just looked like my friends! I had to shorten them a bit but other than that, it was easy. They are not directional fabrics so that helped quite a bit in being able to use a small amount of fabric.
Learning how to make your own bias tape is a must also! I can hardly ever find the right shade at the store and it is always nice to work with 100% cotton materials when the main fabric is already 100% cotton. I am fairly sure that most pre-packaged bias tape is poly/cotton. It is also rather expensive! A long, clear ruler used for rotary cutting quilt pieces is very helpful along with some chalk. It really is quite simple.
Edited to add that I did change the way the back ties from the way the original pattern instructs. I explained a bit more in this other post.