Sunday, November 21, 2010

Changing Seasons in Red Chambray

I had fun last weekend sewing this one up. Same pattern but different fabric. See my thoughts on the pattern from last time over here or just scroll down a bit.


It went just as smoothly as last time. The pleats were fun to accommodate maternity and the ties were so easy to put in. I found the fitted cap sleeve to be a breeze also and they fit so well.



Absolutely love this fabric with the warp being black and the weft being red! It makes for such a great "shimmer" and more interest too. I have never sewn with chambray before but it seems to be a really great weight for fall and winter clothing and is rather wrinkle resistant too even thought it is all cotton.



The only obvious change I made was when I used the shawl collar from this pattern instead of the options provided in the original Changing Seasons pattern. It was so simple to do as I just followed the "jewel neckline" but made a bit more v-ed in the front following the shape of the shawl collar.



As for fitting adjustments, I have had to narrow the shoulders slightly both times that I made this pattern. It is a simple adjustment though that really makes a difference. A garment with shoulders that are too wide or too narrow can really not look good! I can't remember the last time I did not do this when making a dress or blouse with a modern pattern so I guess it is rather common for people to vary in the shoulder area. The Changing Seasons pattern outlines how to adjust the shoulders if needed also.



I was excited to use this Baker Lane pattern again but for maternity. I am glad that it turned out well and hope that this mother to be gets lots of mileage out of it!

Blessings,
Bethany Lynn

1 comment:

  1. The dress is very pretty. That color looks absolutely beautiful on her.

    ReplyDelete