Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Colonial Breeches


These were my dad's Christmas present. I would have liked to have had them done for some events back in the Fall but at least I know they are ready for this upcoming Fall season :)


I used a pattern from Mill Farm that I purchased when I was in Colonial Williamsburg. Unfortunately, I could not find a website for them but William Booth Draper does sell the pattern. I thought about using the J.P. Ryan pattern instead but I came across so many other seamstresses who had a hard time with that one. So when I found this one from Mill Farm on vacation, I went with it :)


The pattern went together so well, and while it does not have any pictures in the instructions (!!!), I was pleasantly surprised at how simple the instructions were to follow. I think it would make it hard for a beginner but the instructions are very descriptive and practically form a picture in themselves when read. The pattern pieces also have a lot of markings to help the construction process also. I found those to be really helpful. I was honestly, dreading making them so I put it off for sometime but now that they are finished, I realize how much I enjoyed it and how simple the pattern was! I would do it again AND use this pattern :)

Believe it or not but these were actually supposed to be a mock up. I used one of those canvas curtains that seem to be so common at second hand shops these days. (maybe they were a fad 10 years ago?!). It took up maybe half of one so it was practically free! The buttons on the other hand, were WAY expensive. I am not sure why. All I can figure is that they make them in such small quantities and that makes the price go up. I would really love to know about a cheaper option in place of these metal buttons. Thoughts anyone?

The only thing I did not like about the pattern is that it only comes in one size. That can be annoying if you need to make more than one pair for people who are different sizes. I am only sewing for my dad so no issues their :)

As Always,
Bethany Lynn

3 comments:

  1. Fascinating! They came out great : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bethany,

    What a blessing that all of your family enjoys doing these kind of events.

    What a great time for family bonding :)

    In His Love,

    Maria.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Bethany,

    The breeches turned out great! I'll be making breeches for the fall, I'm sure. The boys just barely squeezed into the pairs we owned. As for buttons, I'm on the look out. The best place so far is James Townsend. Sells them in a package of 10 for $6. Or 100 for $60! :-) Obviously these buttons being pewter makes them expensive... Ivis

    ReplyDelete