Saturday, January 30, 2010

A Red Riding Hood





Once again, another lovely accessorie for my sister. Lord Willing, we are going to an event on Wednesday so she really needed something warm for her head instead of just a shawl so this ensued :)

I was very much inspired by another lovely lady's hood here and another here. As is said, the instructions are from Peterson's Magazine and authored by Mrs. Jane Weaver in the 1860's. The original instructions that were provided along with these two diagrams:

"This hood is the novelty of the season, and while it is both pretty and becoming, it is very simple and easily made. Take three-quarters of a yard of scarlet sack flannel, the finest and most brilliant color that can be procured. Cut off one side to make it perfectly square; round one corner, as seen in the diagram; then have it pinked all round in small scallops, which you will find, will produce a very beautiful effect.
From B to B at about two inches from the edge, sew a casing of narrow ribbon on the underside, also one diagonally from A to a. Run a narrow ribbon in the casings, drawing the one from B to B to fit the face. Fasten it. The one from A to A is to be drawn to suit the head.

If preferred, the hood may be lined with silk so far as the line AA. The point which represents the cape is better not lined"

















I really did not vary from the originial directions very much as I cut it out to be basically the same design but I did cut off part of the piece that hangs down over the shoulders so that it would not be so long in the back. I highly recommend making it out of a piece of fabric you do not care about first and just basting in some twill tape or another cheap material as a psuedo casing and then just run some yarn through the casing to see how it fits and if it will flatter the shape of your face ect.

With that said, once I had my pattern from my mock up, I cut out my wool to the afore mentioned shape and used a Curves water bottle to trace around and get the scallops :D Whatever works, I guess! I did use pinking sheers as was mentioned in the originial instructions. I also lined the area that was mentioned in the instructions with red/black shot silk taffeta but I also quilted the lining with some wool batting before I whip stitched it to the actual wool hood. After I had the lining in, I sewed the casings on. I made the casings out of the same silk cut on the bias and folded to hide the raw edges. After that, the hood is basically finished and all you have to do is thread some sort of ribbon through the casings, draw it up and attach a bow to the back. I used the same silk for the drawstring and did not even finish the edges. Since it is on the bias it really will not fray very much and is the quickest option if you want to make your own ribbon. I made the drawstring extra long so that the extra would tie neatly under the chin to keep the hood on. Just make sure to knot the drawstring at both intersections on the corners after you draw it up and then use the extra to secure it on your head.







You can see the lining better in this photo:



I am making one for myself with brown wool and turquoise silk taffeta. I hope to finish it soon and post pictures for you all also :)

Oh, and ladies, I finally got smart and am doing several posts in one sitting and then saving them to post on different days. I think I will be able to keep up better and post more regularly that way!

Blessings,
Bethany

Thursday, January 14, 2010

A New Day, A New Year

Hello Everyone!

That was a long vacation was it not? I did not intend to take that long of a break but things happen. We had a lovely Christmas over here and I need to post pictures of all those projects. After Christmas we went ice skating with our reenacting group. I think that deserves a post all to itself :) but to start, this is what I have been up to today. I enjoy spending time in my room on cold mornings like this. My windows face south and I can not help but bask in the sun!





With everything going on over the Christmas season, I had quite a few thank you cards to send out! I made over a dozen this morning. I couldn't help but do it in my room as the craft room was rather cold and it was oh so warm in my room....... The fact that simple words written on a piece of paper can last for so long and be so heartfelt always fascinates me :)

You can also see quite a few quilt blocks in that picture. I have been trying to make at least one a day so I can have the quilt finished before our next weekend long event in May.

Since I have yet to actually get some good pictures of me in this dress, this one of a bodice close up will have to do for now. I added the collar and buttons down the front over the break but the dress has been basically finished since October. Notice that I didn't even bother to iron it!



The fabric is from WalMart and I am afraid it looks kina like camo in this picture! You all will just have to trust me that it is a rather pretty print :) This is realy just a basic dress with coat sleeves, a gathered bodice and pleated skirt with a waistband. Again, I used Elizabeth Stewart Clark's Dressmaker's Guide book drafting the bodice with assistance and following the simple forumlas for the sleeves and skirt. It really is rather fun to turn a piece of flat fabric into something 3-D!

I hope you all had a lovely holiday!

Thinking about Haiti,
Bethany Lynn