Sunday, February 14, 2010
I have not been working on my wool dress very much but I need to finish it for the 24th so I will start work on it again tomorrow.
I have been slowly working on this but in blue while listening to this.
I am smelling popcorn so that is my que to make smoothies. Off I go!
Tuesday, February 9, 2010
Just to clarify, this is my attempt at reproducing a dress that a middle class woman might have warn in the 1860's. While some might assume that the wool is itchy, it really is just quite the opposite! It is smooth and almost silky :)
Basic darted bodice with modified bishop sleeves.
Hook and eye tape for the front closure and a piped/bound neckline for easy care. I do plan on wearing a collar with this dress.
The sleeves are really just a basic rectangle that is gathered into a cuff and box pleated into the armscye. The idea is to have the box pleats right over the top of the arm and stitch them down about four inches so that all of the fullness is released around the elbow. I love that silhouette :D
Waistband with piping above and below. I like the added stability.
The back with the "side" seams piped along with the shoulder seams. I have put the "side" seam in quotations because they really are not by the side at all! They are angled much more to the back then we are used to and make for very interesting shaped pattern pieces! :) You can also see two arched tucks in the back. This was quite popular doing the period. You can see them all the way back to the Regency also!
And another view of the front :)
Saturday, February 6, 2010
Did you all know that the Smithsonian has a lovely collection of women's clothing? I honestly, had no idea and have had quite a bit of fun perusing it online! To think that I could hop on the metro any day and go look at it in person is just mind boggling to me too :)
I am rather partial to this one. (above) I love the detail and I think some it could be incorporated into a lovely modern wedding dress!
This lovely white dress has exquisite embroidery on it! Makes one wonder if it was one of those textiles produced in India or if a woman spent a lot of time on it in preparation for some sort of special occasion.
Those are just a few of my favorites but do go look at more of their collection!
In our neck of the woods, we are having a blizzard! We have never had this much snow all in one winter before. It really is unbelievable!
Thursday, February 4, 2010
A few readers have asked so here is a little bit on how I helped my sister come up with the pattern for this paletote.
Alrighty, the front is the Period Impressions women's paletote pattern. I think a lot of people nickname it Period Impression's Ugly Sack pattern instead though. I wondered about other people's results of this pattern for a long time and frankly, was very weary of using it! I did find that if one uses some good sense and makes a mock up out of muslin first BEFORE cutting into the good wool, one can make a lovely piece from it. I did have to cut down the pattern pieces quite a bit and I did add darts. It really is not hard but it can be quite fiddly and take time.
I can not remember if the back is from the Period Impressions pattern also or if it is the KayFig paletote pattern. I do not think it really matters that much because the backs are very similar and one must fit the back to yourself anyways and neither pattern will fit any one person perfectly. Just do as above and use cheap fabric to get it how you want and use the altered pieces as your pattern pieces.
The sleeves are my own pattern that i made up :D All you do is measure the arm hole of the paletote and then figure out the length you want the finished sleeve to be. Draw a rectangle with these two measurements and then widen the bottom part of the rectangle as much or as little as you like to get the pagoda affect. I think I might have curved the top part of the rectangle slightly to have it lay in the armscye slightly but this sleeve really is not complicated at all.
The collar (I am sorry it is not very visible in the above photo) is from the KayFig paletote pattern. All I did was take the basic collar and widen it quite a bit. Baste it in to make sure it lays correctly and then sew it. Easy as pie :) Oh, and press it a lot. That will make the seams look nicer.
Please let me know if this is not very clear or if I can answer any more questions.
Wednesday, February 3, 2010