Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Corduroy pants

Well, these have been long coming. To be honest, I think they have been in my project basket for nearly a year! That is emberassing but it is true :) I used the Past Pattern's Men's Winter Trousers pattern for these and I really do think they turned out well. The reason it took me so long to make them was because I did not understand how to make the pockets so I kept putting it off! Thankfully, the last time I sat down to try and figure it out was when it clicked and I finishd them the next day with no stress involved! I think this is the first project I have ever made my dad that was not completed less then 24 hours before the event it was needed for! I think I had nearly two weeks to spare! Let's hope I can keep that pattern going :)

Anyways, the corduroy is from Joann's and I purchased the buttons at Abraham's Lady.


Front.


Pocket

The only thing that I would change the next time I use this pattern is some of the finishing techniques on the inside. I was very surprised that so many of the seams and edges are left raw. I have used the Past Pattern's Summer Trousers pattern a couple of times and the inside is so neat and finished looking! I think I will incorporate the techniques from both patterns to get a better result in this style.

(For future reference, I cut out a size 36 and it was a little big but could be fixed with suspenders. They were too long also but I fixed that when I hemmed them.)

As Always,
Bethany Lynn

Monday, April 19, 2010

An experiment.........

Note: This post is for Ginny! I know you are reading this and you inspired me to try it!

I have to admit that I was being a little eccentric when I started on this experiment :) We were leaving for an event the next day and I needed my petticoats to be starched but I also wanted to try my hand at what the original cast might have done. Per a friend's suggestion I used this recipe that was found over on the Sewing Academy Forum.

"Heavy Starch: In large saucepot, mix 1/2 c. starch (laundry or corn) and 1 cup cold water. Gradually stir in 2 quarts water. Stirring constantly, bring to boil over medium heat and boil 1 minute. (Note: 1 minute of boiling, no more or less produces the best starch solution.) Use warm.

Medium Starch: Dilute Heavy starch solution with 2 quarts water.

Light starch: Dilute Heavy starch solution with 4 quarts water.

For best results:
Fabric should be clean, wet, and unfolded before dipping into starch solution.
Use starch solution while warm.
Iron fabric while damp."


The starch solution was so hot that I had to use gloves and a wooden spoon. Becca and I were giggling about something when she took this picture :)


Wringing the solution out of a petticoat......


The finished product the next morning! The petticoats are so stiff that they rustle and the corded bonnets turned out great! I only starched the brim of course but it was so easy that I think I like it better than my slat bonnet. I am looking forward to seeing how long the petticoats stay stiff and if the starch truly acts like "scotch guard" like it is praised to do :)

I didn't starch anything on those drawers but I finished them that same day and I thought adding them to the line was more pleasing to the eye than just having four things in the picture. :)

I forgot to take pictures of what the starch looks like but it just looks like white-ish water and is very slimy to the touch. It feels not so pleasant but is great after it dries :) Now all I have to do is the rest of my petticoats and about 8 others that my mom and sister have. I think this would be a great educational project to do at an event as it is so hands on and yet practical.

As Always,
Bethany Lynn

Friday, April 16, 2010

Flying Geese Quilt




This is my project that I do when I want to relax. Putting together pieces over and over again realy is mindless work compared to making clothing :). I think everyone should try there hand at it! They are also a great way to use up scraps.






The borders are on. I picked the backing and even used wool batting which I am so in love with. I basted it together in a few hours on a quiet day.







The fabric was extra yardage from a dress that I made my mother. I decided to use it because it looked so much like the original from the mid-19th century. I would give you all a link to the original but I found this lovely quilt in a book and I can't show you all a picture because of copyrights.




The natural sun made these pictures...........

As Always,
Bethany Lynn