Thursday, January 13, 2011

~Wool Regency Apron

First of all, thank you to all of you who have been praying for me. My sister mentioned it on her blog, and yes, I did have my wisdom teeth out yesterday. I am doing well considering and have a very nice nurse who takes care of me :) She brought me my computer and the camera to upload these pictures and makes sure I get my medicine and am never hungry. We watched movies all day (or what seemed like all day..... I can't remember exactly) yesterday and she brings me smoothies as promised. I am in good hands :)

Earlier this week I was able to get these picture with Becca taking them. Since I am foregoing the medicine that will take me into la la land, I am also getting more done than I thought I would although I sort of feel like I have a glimpse of what it is like to be on bed rest......

Anyways, enough chit chat, I started the research for this project nearly a year ago. You can see it all in one post here and I myself referred to it often. All I did was follow the instructions from the Across the Ages website. To get the look I wanted for the bib, I did not measure from shoulder to shoulder as the instructions say. I just measured across myself to see how wide I wanted the top of the bib to be. It was a few inches short of my front shoulder to shoulder measurement. If I had used my front shoulder to shoulder measurement, it would have ended up much wider than I wanted at the top of the bib. I do confess that I used this picture as a bit of a guide to the look I wanted. I love the aprons in the Sense and Sensibility movie with Kate Winslet and Emma Thompson.



Other than that top bib measurement, I sewed it nearly all by hand with just a few seams in the bib being machine since they were the only ones that did not show. I can't remember if the instructions say to gather the bottom of the bib under the best, but that is what I did on mine as it was simply more flattering.



This fabric was leftover from another project which I have yet to post about so I was working with very little. I only have a few small scraps left actually! As you can see in the pictures, the skirt of the apron is just flat. I did not have enough to make it gathered as in the instructions but would have if I had enough fabric. It is wool tricotene (oh horrors!) which would not be the most accurate weave for wools during the time period. My only reason is that I am into using what I have and also have a goal of not buying any fabric this year unless it is ordered by a client.



I am so happy to check this project off my list! I do not really need it until the Fort McHenry seasons starts in the Spring but I need to make an entire 1812 outfit for my mom between now and then too. I am excited but know there is absolutely no use in procrastinating! I have learned it is a good idea to experiment on oneself before another person also. Working out the kinks is always good!





The pattern I used for the dress is the original Sense and Sensibility gown pattern with a fan front bodice (move the gathers to the middle of the bust instead of having the fullness on each side). The fabric is voile and fully lined. I think I need to iron those sleeves ;) I wear it with stays made from the Sense and Sensibility Underthings pattern. Normally, I have a neckerchief that I tuck into the neckline but I could not find it when I needed it as usual :).

As Always,
Bethany Lynn

8 comments:

  1. Lovely, lovely, lovely is all I have to say! I adore this color of purple on you and you are beautiful! Love you lots dear sister and your sewing is amazing! Praise God for the gift of thread and needles and eager hands He has given you! Without Him where would we be!?

    In Christ,
    Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous! I adore the work aprons from that movie. So practical, yet feminine and pretty. I hope you're healing well, I am not looking forward to having my teeth out. :(

    Love,
    ~Ginny

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the back! I've been praying for you, I hope you are feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That apron is SO cute! I'm looking forward to browsing around your blog some more...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful!!! I sketched that very apron from the movie, thinking I might try to make one at least....so glad someone has...you make it look so pretty!
    LM

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this apron! You have created a really lovely and authentic look. What adjustments must you make to the pattern to change out the button closure for the lacing?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anna, i just shortened the ties. If I remember correctly, once I had the apron finished, I tried it on, pinned where I thought the buttons should go and then cut the excess length, sewed on the buttons and made the buttonholes. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete