First of all, thank you to all of you who have been praying for me. My sister mentioned it on her blog, and yes, I did have my wisdom teeth out yesterday. I am doing well considering and have a very nice nurse who takes care of me :) She brought me my computer and the camera to upload these pictures and makes sure I get my medicine and am never hungry. We watched movies all day (or what seemed like all day..... I can't remember exactly) yesterday and she brings me smoothies as promised. I am in good hands :)
Earlier this week I was able to get these picture with Becca taking them. Since I am foregoing the medicine that will take me into la la land, I am also getting more done than I thought I would although I sort of feel like I have a glimpse of what it is like to be on bed rest......
Anyways, enough chit chat, I started the research for this project nearly a year ago. You can see it all in one post here and I myself referred to it often. All I did was follow the instructions from the Across the Ages website. To get the look I wanted for the bib, I did not measure from shoulder to shoulder as the instructions say. I just measured across myself to see how wide I wanted the top of the bib to be. It was a few inches short of my front shoulder to shoulder measurement. If I had used my front shoulder to shoulder measurement, it would have ended up much wider than I wanted at the top of the bib. I do confess that I used this picture as a bit of a guide to the look I wanted. I love the aprons in the Sense and Sensibility movie with Kate Winslet and Emma Thompson.
Other than that top bib measurement, I sewed it nearly all by hand with just a few seams in the bib being machine since they were the only ones that did not show. I can't remember if the instructions say to gather the bottom of the bib under the best, but that is what I did on mine as it was simply more flattering.
This fabric was leftover from another project which I have yet to post about so I was working with very little. I only have a few small scraps left actually! As you can see in the pictures, the skirt of the apron is just flat. I did not have enough to make it gathered as in the instructions but would have if I had enough fabric. It is wool tricotene (oh horrors!) which would not be the most accurate weave for wools during the time period. My only reason is that I am into using what I have and also have a goal of not buying any fabric this year unless it is ordered by a client.
I am so happy to check this project off my list! I do not really need it until the Fort McHenry seasons starts in the Spring but I need to make an entire 1812 outfit for my mom between now and then too. I am excited but know there is absolutely no use in procrastinating! I have learned it is a good idea to experiment on oneself before another person also. Working out the kinks is always good!
The pattern I used for the dress is the original Sense and Sensibility gown pattern with a fan front bodice (move the gathers to the middle of the bust instead of having the fullness on each side). The fabric is voile and fully lined. I think I need to iron those sleeves ;) I wear it with stays made from the Sense and Sensibility Underthings pattern. Normally, I have a neckerchief that I tuck into the neckline but I could not find it when I needed it as usual :).