Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Repro quilt beginnings .......

With the new living history season starting in April, my sister and I thought it would be a good plan to get a head start on a quilt. Last year we quilted at a lot of events and had a hand quilted quilt by the end of the season. If we did the same this year it would be really great! I am also researching quilt frames and we just might reproduce one but more on that later! ;)

With our other reproduction quilts, we have used the quiltstudy.org website almost every time. There are thousands of quilts on their and it has to be the easiest way to find and source an antique quilt! The IQCS object number is 2005.048.0006 and is circa 1830-1850 with the main fabric being cotton and of course, all hand sewn.. I would just link to the page on the quiltstudy.org website but last time I did that, the link was broken after a short time. Just go to "collections" and then search the collections using the IQSC if you would like more information.
A few days ago when we picked out the quilt to reproduce, we also went through our scraps to find fabrics in the colors that we wanted to use. Here they are sorted and ironed. That took some time because we certainly don't store them that way!

We also picked the main fabric that would go in between each pieced block and made a chart to figure out how many blocks we wanted of each color. The original seems to have a tone on tone white stripe in the pieced blocks with the colors so we went with the homespun peach and cream stripe shown in the picture.

As I was searching the quilt study.org collection, I also found these two quilts. They are also nine patch variations but with the light/dark parts of the blocks in the opposite pattern. I think it might be called an "album quilt" when made this way. Both of these quilts are from the 1830-1865 time frame.

IQSC object number is 1997.007.0697 for the above quilt.
IQSC object number is 1997.007.0704

More to come as we hopefully progress!

As Always,
Bethany Lynn

2 comments:

  1. How fun--I love quilts! We had a quilting day today at church, and it was wonderful. One of the ladies taught us how to make a log cabin quilt block using the "Quilt in a Day" method. I got (I think) 12 blocks done from cutting out to piecing. I'll have to post some photos later.

    Your quilt project sounds nice, and I love reproduction fabrics (I pretty much love all fabric!). :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is one amazing undertaking! I thinks quilts are the best for telling stories through fabric.

    Just wanted to let you know that I am sending you the machine tomorrow...sick children and bad weather has kept me indoors. But all is ready to go...

    Send me an email to confirm the address you want me to send it to. I kept the address from the envelope, but just to make sure.

    My email...aplainandgentlelife@gmail.com

    Let me know.

    Maria.

    ReplyDelete