Friday, April 8, 2011

Clothing an army.....

....... well maybe not quite but sometimes it is easy to feel that way!



24 eyelets, 32 buttons and 38 button holes later, I finished 4 pairs of trousers and 2 pairs of suspenders. They will be passed along to their new owners next weekend. I used the Timeless Stitches boys Trouser pattern. Scroll down on that page a bit. I thought that since the pattern was not too expensive, that it would not be of very good quality but I was impressed! The instructions were easy to follow with many options and historical background. The pattern was printed on nice paper and was easy to fit and lengthen or widen if necessary.

It suggested doing these eyelets on the back to make it adjustable and found this works well. A buckle with adjustable strap would do just fine also. I made the largest size for these growing boys but if made to fit more closely, these eyelets wouldn't be necessary.
Button fly front
Pockets
Suspenders
I thought having the button on the inside would make the buttons less susceptible to popping off. Since the two brothers will be matching and the only difference is the length, I also put an initial on the waistband of each.

Overall, I think a beginner could make these with some help. Trousers really are not that hard to make. Just take it one step at a time and you will be finished in no time at all.

Note for self: 2 pairs of trousers can be cut out of 2 3/4 yards of 60" wide twill. 1 yard of 60" wide twill will make the suspenders, pockets, linings ect.

Blessings,
Bethany Lynn

2 comments:

  1. Amazing! You sew so much! I dislike buttonholes and eyelets a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I continue to be awed and inspired by your sewing skills. Thank you so much for continuing to show all that you do. It encourages me greatly in my own sewing efforts.

    ReplyDelete