Friday, June 3, 2011

Swimsuit!


Sorry, long time no talk! Anyways, this was a birthday present for my sister back in April. We found it was high time that I sat down to figure out this bathing suit thing! I used Olivia's e-book and I am really happy with the way Becca's suit turned out. I made one for myself too but as usual, no pictures yet. The instructions were great and I would definitely use them again!

Olivia's instructions include dozens of variations. I did a cap sleeve with some elastic in the hem for Becca.....

.... and a circle skirt that was so simple!


The 4-way stretch spandex is from fabric.com. Unfortunately, they don't seem to have any good options for swim suits right now. Olivia includes some suggestions for other places to buy swim suit fabric online too. Once I had the pattern drafted, it only took me about 4 hours to make. I did use a stretch stitch that came on my machine. The whole process was so forgiving and stress free. If something didn't match up, I could either cut it off or just stretch it to match! Nothing needs to be hemmed and the seams don't need to be finished because the fabric does not fray!

The only thing I don't like is that 4-way stretch spandex fabric can be rather expensive at $10 or more per yard. I was able to get this swim suit out of 2 yards (recognize the fabric from this project?) and have often seen this kind of fabric on sale for $5 a yard in the winter ;-). Just watch the sales and use coupons!

As Always,
Bethany Lynn

7 comments:

  1. Wow! That is so cute! I am in need of a new suit and found just the right print (at spandex.com) but I am still intimidated with fitting and sewing stretch fabrics. Perhaps we could chat sometime? :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's very pretty. I wear a "swim dress" too. A lot of people think it will be hard to swim in but it really isn't. I also feel less self conscious. I used to wear a normal suit and was always making sure "nothing was showing."

    I love the fabric she used. I wish our selection was as pretty. We only had plain black. I had trouble finding fabric at Joanns but did find a tricot substitute in their dance section fabric. I can't wait to see the one you make.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh! I love it! You did an awesome job! I noticed there's no top stitching near the neckline- did you do a lining? I'm glad it was easy for you!

    May I post a link to this post on my website?

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks so pretty and Rebecca looks very nice in it modeling the suit :-D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the swimsuit! It is so modest too! :)
    Be blessed...
    Happy Independence Day!
    Mikailah
    www.maid4him.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful...and very modest and feminine. :)
    Blessings,
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete