A sweet little girl crossed paths with my family and another and somehow made her way into all our hearts. This dress was made for her very first reenacting season. I used Elizabeth Stewart Clark's Girls Dresses Pattern and really loved it. I am used to constructing mid-nineteenth century dresses a certain way based on ESC's Dressmaker's Guide. This pattern worked well for me because it used all the same techniques and concepts that I was used to. I would not put it in a beginner level but anyone can make their first dress with this pattern and some patience.
Honestly, girls dresses don't necessarily take any less time than a woman's dress! Since the fabric is cotton, gauging seemed like the best idea. Gauging takes time! I seem to forget that every time I decide to do it.
Since this girl will be growing a lot in the next couple of years, the yoked bodice seemed like the best option. She really will not need another dress for fitting reasons because of the bodice, the adjustable back, and the tucks in the skirt. I made sure the sleeve bands were a bit roomy also.
They are a bit hard to see, but the back closure has hooks and eyes with extra eyes to make the waist smaller or larger.
To get the most use out of the dress, the bishop sleeves button into the puffed sleeves so the dress can be worn at hot summer events and cooler fall events. With a jacket and some warm underthings, she could wear this dress in the cold winter also.
At the end of making this dress, I decided that more dresses need trim! It took so little time and adds so much!