Thursday, September 8, 2011

Ruffle-y Petticoat

This petticoat was made out of a sheet to go with the printed day dress. Nice white sheets are so much better quality than cotton muslin which I am used to using. My hope is that this will wear even better and last much longer than the cotton muslin petticoats that I have.

The ruffle was chosen so that the wearer would not have to wear so many petticoats all at once. Ruffles on petticoats are more common in the late Victorian period (1870s) so that is why I make this clarification. It does do a pretty good job of poofing out the skirts though! It has a deep hem and a ration of 1.5 to 1 to the skirt of the petticoat. 2 to 1 could have been done but this seemed sufficient at the time. Once the ruffle was sewn onto the main petticoat body, I bound the raw edge with twill tape. I did not want it to fray and it adds even more body to the petticoat also.

The tucks, extra buttons along the waist and a drawstring in the back will allow the petticoat to grow with the recipient. If only I had done some of these things on my first petticoats a few years back!

The construction of the petticoat is very basic. Elizabeth Stewart Clark has the basic instructions I follow just without the ruffle how-to.

As Always,
Bethany Lynn

2 comments:

  1. Hi! I love your blog, since I love historical costuming too! How can I follow your blog?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cute! I love the adjustment buttons. Some days my stuff fits better than others.

    ReplyDelete