Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Cordelia Silk Bonnet





Fabric: 100% silk taffeta from a fabric.com sale

Pattern: Timely Tresses "Cordelia" bonnet pattern. I used Brim 2 without the bavolet. Highly recommend these patterns! I've used several and loved all of them.



Modifications: Instead of using buckram for the brims, I used that plastic cross stitch/mesh stuff. I'm sure it has a name but I can't remember what it is called! Joann's carried it and I did not want to have to order buckram online. It was cheap and I don't have to worry about the bonnet wilting if it were to rain. It was easy to sew, does not get "mushed" or crumpled if someone sits on it and it certainly was less time intensive to use since I didn't have to make a bonnet "form" with wiring and all.

Other than that, I followed the directions as is but did not put in a lining. I wanted it to be a light weight bonnet and since the taffeta is slippery on both sides, I did not need to worry about the fabric messing up the wearer's hair.

I made ribbon ties just by cutting the fashion fabric on the bias. Nice fabric doesn't fray!

Blessings,
Bethany

4 comments:

  1. Oh They are really lovely Bethany!

    Maria

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should have been at this year's Jane Austen Festival in Bath... they had a really good talk on the history of bonnets with reproduction bonnets on display! :)

    ReplyDelete