Wednesday, November 2, 2011
Soft and warm....
Fabric: 100% Wool something from Ebay. I do suspect it has some synthetic in it just because of the feel but it was the cheapest price for the amount. Plus, I was in a pinch. The black is 100% wool too. Lining is silk taffeta and the batting is wool. Frog closures are synthetic. That would be why they are shiny ;)
Pattern: Kay Fig's Lady's paletote pattern
Modifications: Well, I haven't looked at the directions in ages so I am not sure how much I followed them or modified. The first time I used this pattern, I was new at sewing and fitting and the booklet was a God send. It had all sorts of instructions and helpful things in addition to how to put the actual coat together. I highly recommend it :).
Anyways, obvious modifications would be that I made the collar more pointed instead of a peter pan collar. The pattern has several options but I modified the peter pan collar piece in particular.
The sleeve was also supposed to be two pieces. I wondered why I had to ease it so much to get it to go together! I put the sleeve in and lined it before I realized so I just decided to leave it. If you follow the pattern, the sleeve would have more room but the slimmer sleeve worked ok for this client.
I can't remember but I think the pattern mentions quilting the lining as an option. I just cut the lining about a size larger because when it is quilted, it shrinks up a bit. You can have fun with the stitching pattern too. I did diagonal lines and a chevron in the back of this one.