Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Checked Linen Shirt




collar with neck gusset and shoulder reinforcement

hem and side vent

Fabric: 100% linen navy/white check

Pattern: J.P. Ryan Men's Shirt pattern View A

Modifications: I sewed the whole shirt by hand and did more flat felling than what was suggested. I wanted it to be a keep sake but also hold up with hard use from my dad. Putting lots of time into things seems to help that combination-- sentimentality and durability :)

Further Reading: I found Thoughts on Men's Shirts to be very interesting and helpful. You could draft your own pattern from this book but I of course liked having all that work done for me! It did help me know that the pattern was accurate and that I was on the right track as far as fabric and authenticity goes.

Happy Sewing!

Bethany

1 comment:

  1. I just found your blog and look forward to seeing all your projects. It is remarkable to me that you hand stitched this shirt. Is there anyone else who does that these days? I like to hand sew quilts but that's a project that is easy to carry around, at least in the block stage.

    ReplyDelete