Monday, April 28, 2014

~1860's Navy and White Summer Day Dress







I drafted the pattern myself using the instructions outlined in Mrs. Clark's The Dressmaker's Guide. The bodice pattern was made using the draping technique and the skirt and sleeves are simple rectangles. As you can see, the long sleeves button into the short, puffed sleeves for more versatility. I purchased the floral lawn and navy Swiss dot from Fashion Fabrics Club. The skirt is gauged and attached to the bodice with a dog-leg placket and full enough to go over a very large hoop. The collar was made very quickly out of a vintage handkerchief. Someday, I hope I can have pictures of the recipient wearing her dress. For now, these will have to suffice. Happy Spring! 

(Please excuse the fact that this dress was not displayed on a dress form for the pictures. My dress form was too small for this dress.)

2 comments:

  1. This is so beautiful! It has a lot of detail to it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful dress Bethany! I love the colors and details. Your workmanship is lovely.

    -Sarah

    ReplyDelete