Tuesday, April 1, 2014

{An 1860's White Dotted Swiss Garibaldi Shirt}


I used the Past Patterns Garibaldi shirt pattern and 100% cotton dotted Swiss from Georgia Fabrics on Etsy.  After some research, Georgia Fabrics seemed to have the least expensive Swiss dot while still being great quality. What a find! This was my first time to sew with Swiss dot and my first time making a Garibaldi blouse. I do believe more of these shirts will be in my future. They are so light and airy-- perfect for hot Summer reenactments! Why have I been wearing two layer- cotton dresses my whole reenacting career?! I am about to be too old for these shirts so I better take advantage of it. 


The pattern was well written and easy to follow. I made this shirt according to the instructions except for where I felled the seams instead of overcasting by hand. Since a lady ordered this dress, I wanted to get it done fairly quickly and have it hold up after many washings. Flat felling the seams was a better option for me while still being historically accurate. I added the period correct lace by what looked best to my eye as it was not a suggestion in the pattern. Buttonholes were done by hand while listening to this and this


Just a hint--Never try to cut wristbands on the bias. It just won't work even if the dots or other pattern of the fabric looks better on the bias! Trust me. Not worth the headache or the date with the seam ripper. ;)


I made a size 12 for this young lady but since she is quite tall, I lengthened the overall length of the body and the sleeves by several inches. I wanted it to tuck in and not come out easily. The drawstring waist will also help with the 'duck tail' look when wearing.


Overall, a fun, pretty project. I will definitely order from Georgia Fabrics and use the PP shirt pattern again. 

Happy Spring! What have you all been sewing? 

No comments:

Post a Comment